Sunday, 6 April 2014

TAKEN

Taken by Erin Bowman

There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, yesterday I reviewed Mindy McGinnis' Not a Drop to Drink and said it wasn't your typical dystopian novel. This, sadly, is. As a disclaimer, I'd like to say that I'm not saying it's a bad book, I'm just saying it wasn't for me. I didn't really enjoy it at all. I usually look for books that I can't predict the ending of, and though here I didn't know where we were going to end up, I also didn't care about the twists and turns.

I never warmed to any of the characters. I was interested to read a dystopian from a male perspective - I'm sure lots of them exist, I just don't think I've read one before - but it was much the same as any other book. In fact, it strongly reminded me of The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, a book I didn't like with sequels that I hated. I had this feeling of similarity from the very beginning, and I'm sure that guaranteed I didn't enjoy this book. If I hadn't read that one first, maybe I would have gotten along with Taken a little better, but I still don't think I would have loved it.

One thing that stood out to me particularly was the use of words spelt backwords. The Laicos project, the Taem dome. The problem with that was I started looking at every word, trying to read it backwards and make it say something. Most of them did not, and it bothered me that only some of them worked. It was distracting and annoying and gave me a headache.

There's not a lot else for me to say about it. It wasn't a bad book and I'm sure lots of people would love it. In fact, I know of many that do love it. I'm just not one of them. 



1 comment:

  1. The backwards word thing you noticed is so weird and strange. I wonder if that was intentional or just happened. O_o I ended up DNFing this book through sheer lack of caring, but I heard it got worse.

    ReplyDelete