Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (3)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created/hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. You can find out all the important stuff here.

Top Ten Things on My Bookish Bucket List
Okay, so I couldn't actually think of ten. I'm not big on setting myself goals, because I think the need to achieve said goal spoils my enjoyment of it. Take the Goodreads yearly reading challenge, for example. Last year, I set myself a goal of reading 75 books and ended up reading 90. This year, I set myself the same goal of 75, because I didn't want to feel under any pressure to read lots of books. I know myself, I'd race through them to make sure I stayed on track and I wouldn't enjoy any of the books. What's the point of that? So, anyway, not a goal person, but there are a few things I'd like to achieve before I kick it.

1. Get Published
I think this one pretty much speaks for itself. I write, YA novels mostly, and I'd love to see one (or several!) on bookshelves one day. Preferably soon, but I can be patient. Part of getting published involves letting other people read your work, and I'm not so good at that. Like, I hate it. But I'm working on it. My current project, Only the Guilty, is just days away from finding itself in other people's hands. And I'm definitely not having a panic attack every time I think about that!

2. Visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter
I doubt there's a single fan in the world who doesn't want to go to this magical place, except for those that have already been, and I bet a lot of them would go back again. It's just so damned expensive. But I love Harry Potter so much and I've been to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour in London twice now and would definitely go again. I will go to the theme park in Orlando before I die, I will. I was actually going to go this week (I have some time off work that needed to be used up before April) but decided against it because they're opening a new section this summer - Diagon Alley. And you apparently get to ride the Hogwarts Express between the existing Hogsmeade part and the new Diagon Alley part. How awesome is that?

3. Have Matching Sets of All My Books
Anyone who's visited this blog before, or seen me ranting on twitter/other people's blogs, will know how much I hate it when covers change halfway through a series. Or when I bought the paperback of the first book and then could only get the hardback of the second one. I hate it. With every fibre of my being. It upsets me greatly that there are sets on my shelves that don't match. The most important to me is the Pure Dead series by Debi Gliori. The covers of those books are beautiful - jewel-coloured velvet. Velvet. I have five books that match and one that's the regular paperback edition. It bugs me every time I walk past my bookshelves and I can't, I simply can't get my hands on the missing volume.

4. Get More Involved in Blogging
You might have seen the earlier version of this post that said I wanted to make the blog more popular and also interact more with other bloggers. On reflection, I'm worried it kind of implied that I was only interested in interacting with other bloggers in order to direct more traffic to my own blog, which wasn't what I meant. I would like the blog to be more popular, sure, but so that I can interact with more people. And I also want to dedicate more time to interacting with other bloggers on their blogs. I want to interact with this world and it's something I find quite intimidating. I guess I see people coming to my blog as a sign that they want to interact with me, which makes it less scary to talk back. So, yeah, that's what I meant. 

5. Find a Series to Love as Much as Harry Potter
I know, I know, it's a tall order. Part of me thinks that there'll never be any series I love as much as Harry Potter, but that thought actually kind of depresses me. Sure, it's an amazing series and it was a huge phenomenon and I doubt anything will have the same kind of success. At least, not in my lifetime. But I want to find something that I love as much, if not more, because otherwise what's the point? I have to believe that there's something out there that will captivate and enthrall me as much, that will earn another lifelong stay in my heart, because the alternative is just too depressing to contemplate. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo came close, closer than anything else ever has, which gives me a huge amount of hope. (Also, can we hurry up and get Ruin and Rising right now, please? I don't know how much longer I can wait.)

What about you? Are there any book-related goals you want to achieve?



No comments:

Post a Comment