Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (2)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created/hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. You can find out all the important stuff here.

Top Ten Books on my Spring To-Be-Read List
(in no particular order)


The List by Siobhan Vivian - I have been trying to get my hands on this book forever. Seriously, I just couldn't seem to get it in the UK. Then I could but it was a hardback and I hate hardbacks (I sense this will be a recurring theme in this particular post) and so I waited for a paperback edition to appear on the internet.  And waited. And waited some more. Finally it appeared and just today I got an email from the Book Depository telling me it's on its way. It's not actually on its way, but I haven't had time to explain to them the difference between a book being on its way and a book sitting in their warehouse for several days between arriving there and being dispatched to me. (I get that these things take time, but I wouldn't be mad if they hadn't sent me an email saying it was on its way, only to tell me that it's actually not.) But still. Soon I will have this book in my grumpy little hands.

Taken by Erin Bowman - You remember how I mentioned hardbacks? I was waiting for the paperback of this one, and then something happened when I read Pivot Point by Kasie West a few weeks ago. I waited for the paperback, loved it, and then couldn't bring myself to buy the sequel, no matter how much I need it. I don't want to risk the same thing happening with this series - I keep seeing buzz about the sequel online - so I had to buy it. It's actually next up on my to-read list, sitting next to my TV in all it's pretty cover glory.

The Assassin's Blade by S.J. Maas - A similar but different problem with this book of prequel novellas. I wanted them when they appeared as e-books last year. I didn't buy them. I waited for a hard copy, then heard rumours of - shock horror! - a hardback edition. Hardback. The two actual books in the series were only released in paperback. I was livid. Seething. I like to seethe. Then I spotted the paperback in Waterstones and grabbed it so fast a small child gave me a funny look.

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr - Aha! A book that doesn't have a woeful story of stupid hardbacks or e-books behind it. Simply put, I really liked Once Was Lost, so I had a look to see if Zarr had written any other books. She had, and I chose this one to read next. Hopefully it's as good, if not better.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - Yeeeeah, I need this book. Like, right now. I don't really know what it's about, I've never read anything else by the author, but if the buzz I've been hearing on twitter is anything to go by, we all need this book. Right now. Why isn't it out yet? Oh, God, I'm going to have to wait forever for it to come out in the UK, aren't I? (And it's going to be a hardback, too, isn't it? I shall cry, but I will have to buy it as soon as I can.)

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis - By the time this post actually goes up, I'll probably have started this book, actually. It's next on my pile, it has a beautiful cover, and it's a hardback. I know, I know. I'm undercutting my hatred for the damn things by buying them, aren't I? I was pushed into buying this one by the release of the beautiful cover of the sequel. Because I'm incredibly shallow like that.

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard - I have come to the conclusion that this book does not actually exist in the physical world. Once a month or so, I'll do a sweep of the usual - Amazon, Book Depository, Waterstones, even Foyles - and I swear, it doesn't actually exist. Seriously. Most of the websites don't have a listing for it - though, oddly, they know about the sequel - and those that do recognise it as a thing that exists in the universe always list it as currently unavailable. This book will remain high on my TBR list until I can get it. I hope I like it after all this hassle.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - I didn't really like The Summer I Turned Pretty, but I am a huge fan of the Burn for Burn books. Or I was until they changed the covers. I'm looking forward to reading this and seeing which of the two camps of Jenny Han's books it falls into. I'm hoping it's as good as Burn for Burn. Even if it isn't, it has a lovely cover.

The Outside by Laura Bickle - Okay, if you haven't read The Hallowed Ones yet, you need to sort out your life priorities. Amish people and vampires. Frankly, you need this book. And this is the sequel. Yet again, it's a hardback issue - I'm getting pretty sick of books that weren't released in hardback getting sequels that are - but I may have to bite the bullet and just get it. It's about Amish people and vampires. Amish people and vampires. Can't stress that enough.

Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens - This one's been lurking somewhere in the middle of my TBR list for a few months. I liked the cover, I'd been hearing good reviews, but it wasn't especially high on my list. Then a website posted the first few chapters as a sample and I had some time to kill on a Sunday afternoon, so I had a read and I was hooked. I need to know what happened. I'm just waiting for the paperback!

What books are you looking forward to at the moment? I never say no to a few more suggestions to add to my own list!



No comments:

Post a Comment