Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (1)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created/hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. You can find out all the important stuff here.

Top Ten Popular Authors I've Never Read
(in no particular order)

George RR Martin - I resisted the Game of Thrones TV series for over three years, but finally watched it and loved it. I still won't read the books, no matter how many people tell me that I absolutely have to. Part of the problem is the tiny font, part of the problem is the sheer size of the damn books. The other part of the problem is that I'm super lazy and also don't like to read anything people tell me I should (which may well be a recurring theme on this list). Maybe one day, when people stop raving about the books, I'll give them a go, but until then, I'll stick with the show.

Laurie Halse Anderson - Seeing as I read and write YA almost exclusively, this is a name that comes up a lot when I'm reading blogs and looking for book recommendations. People rave about Laurie Halse Anderson, but I can't bring myself to read any of her books because they are always described as being 'lyrical.' That word, to me, says it's a verse novel, even when it's not, and that turns me right off.

Daphne Du Maurier - So a couple of years ago, my mum very kindly bought me a set of her books for Christmas. It's a set of five. And it's still wrapped in cellophane. Sorry, Mum!

Kate Atkinson - Another author whose books I actually own. I'm sitting in a room that contains at least one of them at this very moment. After enjoying the Case Histories TV series, I decided to buy the first book when I spotted it in a shop. And then I never read it. Then I bought a gigantic tome of a book called Life After Life, on a complete whim, and never read that one either. It's won a bunch of awards - which puts me off a little - and then I found out at least some of it takes place during a war. No thank you.

Terry Pratchett - Okay, so I have technically read a little of his work, but I don't think Good Omens, the book he and Neil Gaiman wrote together, really counts. For the longest time, I've wanted to read his books but had no idea where to start, because I was under the impression that the Discworld series was actually several series that all took place in the same universe. Apparently this is not true, and, as a colleague replied when I said I didn't know where to start, I should just start with book one. 

John Green - Nope. Can't do it. I just can't. Again, this is another instance where something is massively hyped, everyone tells me I need to read John Green's books. And I tried. Well, I browsed the blurbs on a few occasions, but none of the stories interest me. They may be the greatest YA books ever written - at least one person a month says this to me - but they just don't interest me one bit. I'm not necessarily opposed to ever reading a John Green book, just not any of the currently published ones.

E. Lockhart - Until fairly recently, I'd never actually heard of E. Lockhart. Until I started hearing buzz about her upcoming novel, We Were Liars (which, for the record, I would kill to get my hands on already), I had no idea who she was. Now I see people raving about this particular book and her back-catalogue on a regular basis. She's definitely on my to-read list, though.

Stephen King - Yeah, this one I'm actually a little bit ashamed of. I mean, seriously, is there actually anyone in the world that hasn't read a single book by Stephen King? I must be the only one. I'm not the greatest fan of horror, but I know of his stories and some of them interest me. Particularly Misery, which I meant to read after watching the film and before writing an essay on it. I got a really good mark for the essay, though, even though I never got around to reading the book. (For the record, I didn't have to read the book for the essay, it was for a scriptwriting class and we were only looking at films, I just wanted to read it and never did.)

Nicholas Sparks - I have seen more adaptations of these books than I care to admit. Okay, I'll admit it, I've seen two. And I was forced to watch one. And peer-pressured into the other one. Everyone was talking about The Notebook, so I watched The Notebook. I've never been interested in reading any of the books, or seeing any of the other films (I still have not forgiven the friend who dragged me along to Dear John) but I have to admit I'm intrigued by just how many books this guy has written and how many copies they've sold.

And finally, Rick Riordan - I have been meaning to read the Percy Jackson series forever. They had me at the words greek mythology. And yet, I've never managed to get around to them. I don't own them, either, though I frequently pick up the first on in bookshops and then put it down in favour of getting something else. I enjoyed the first film, though I didn't see the second, and it reinforced my wanting to read the books. They've just redesigned the covers, so I'm once again thinking about diving in, but I can't commit. Maybe this series and I are just not meant to be.


Which popular authors have you never read? Are you ashamed or proud or completely indifferent about it?



No comments:

Post a Comment