Sunday, 9 February 2014

THE LEGO MOVIE

An ordinary LEGO minifigure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil LEGO tyrant from gluing the universe together.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmet is an ordinary construction worker living in a town that I believe is called Bricksburg (this information does not appear to be on the internet, and neither does the *awesome* song that I still have stuck in my head. I think perhaps my internet is broken. Or the world. I've suspected the world is broken since I discovered you cannot buy cuddly toys of the trolls in Frozen. That is a topic for another day, however.) Emmet is content with his life, even though he's kind of lonely in it. He follows the instructions issued by President Business to the letter, but doesn't understand why it doesn't result in happiness. Then he finds a magic brick and his whole world is turned upside down. 

This film is pretty damn awesome. Now, I've been keen to see it since I saw the first trailer - Lego and Batman, what could be better than that? I was even prepared to overlook the fact that Will Ferrell had a starring role, but again, that's a topic for another day. The thing is, I was expecting it to be brilliantly naff. You know, so bad that it's good? It's not. It's just flat out good. 

It's so clever. So, so clever. I don't want to go into just how clever it is, because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but it's clever. It's not just a kids' movie. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's actually not a kids' movie, and a lot of kids would just be bored by it. It's a smart, funny, slick film, with some amazing graphics to boot. It'll sound stupid, because I knew that it was going to be a film where everything is made out of Lego, but it didn't hit me that everything would be made out of Lego until I saw it. There's a bit at the start where Emmet takes a shower - totally not in a seedy way, promise - and I was just so impressed by the animation of the water. I'm kind of a dork.

Along those lines, this film actually really moved me, too. I know, I know, I can hear you rolling your eyes from here. When Bad Cop - voiced by Liam Neeson no less - shows Emmet the video of his neighbours and co-workers talking about him, I cried. Seriously. Not a lot, true, but an actual tear escaped. And then at the end when...ending-spoilery stuff happens, I wanted to cry again. I thought I was going to cry again. It was beautiful. Also, Will Ferrell did not ruin it for me.

Do yourself a favour and go see this film. Seriously. Even if you're sceptical of it, even if you think it's just for kids, even if you've never liked Lego, you should go and see this film. Although if you've never liked Lego, you should go see someone about that first and then go enjoy the film. Because you will enjoy it. I promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment