Saturday, 1 February 2014

SIX MONTHS LATER

Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards

When Chloe fell asleep in study hall, it was the middle of May. When she wakes up, snow is on the ground and she can't remember the last six months of her life.

Before, she'd been a mediocre student. Now, she's on track for valedictorian and being recruited by Ivy League schools. Before, she never had a chance with super jock Blake. Now he's her boyfriend. Before, she and Maggie were inseparable. Now her best friend won't speak to her.

What happened to her? Remembering the truth could be more dangerous than she knows...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story short, I loved the first half of this book and couldn't stand the second. Honestly, I don't know what happened. Actually, that's not true. I know exactly what happened, the reason Chloe lost her memory was revealed and I just didn't like it. Not one bit. I won't spoil it for anyone who might want to read this book, but I found the reason to be dull, cliched and completely ridiculous.

It's a shame, because I was enjoying the writing and the characters so much. There was a sense of intrigue which kept me guessing, trying to figure out what had happened to her, but then BOOM. Gone. And I had to force myself to read the rest of the book. 

Thinking about it now, and skimming some other reviews on Goodreads, there are some other flaws to this book that I didn't notice at the time. Like the fact that Chloe claims to be determined to figure out what happened to her and her memories, and yet actually spends all her time wondering whether Adam really likes her or not. Adam, who is not mentioned in the summary, is the Bad Boy that she shouldn't be in love with because she's dating Blake, the Jock. They are both very, very pretty, though, so it makes sense that she should be in love with both of them. I know the book would have been a lot shorter - as in maybe just sixty pages long instead of 200+ - if Chloe had just demanded some answers from people, but I really don't know why they didn't. There was some gumph about her having panic attacks previously, so she didn't want people to think she was actually crazy, but I don't buy it. Also, I think the suggested link between having panic attacks and needed to be locked in an asylum was just...beyond. 

Wow, I'm actually starting to make myself mad now, so I'll just stop. I didn't hate this book. I loved the start of it, but I got bored. The plot was ridiculous, and now that I think about it, the character of Chloe was infuriating.  I thought I'd found a great read to follow Kasie West's Pivot Point, but I just ended up disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment