Thursday, 13 February 2014

HUSH, HUSH

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohh, I am such an idiot. Essentially, this is a book that became a big hit off the back of the Twilight phenomenon, and there is a reason the two are often linked. Because they are essentially the same book. I mean it, almost identical. This is slightly darker, but that doesn't make it better. And in fact, if you'd told me that Becca Fitzpatrick was Stephenie Meyer writing under a pseudonym, that would not surprise me one little bit. Now, before I go any further, I should probably say that I actually like the Twilight books. They are not well-written, they are not great literature, but I enjoyed them. I didn't enjoy this book.

There are two distinct problems with this book that I can point to, the first being the whole fallen angel aspect. This is clear from the front cover and the blurb. You would have to have a ridiculously low IQ not to realise that Patch is a fallen angel. Everyone knows. I knew two years before I even picked up the book that it was about a fallen angel. Want to know how long it took main character Nora to figure it out? 248 pages. And, actually, that's not even when she figured it out. That's when she started to realise that maybe something wasn't right and also a lot of stuff with angels seemed to be happening around her.

I wanted to punch her. And I'm not a violent person.

Well, not really.

My other problem was the relationship between Patch and Nora. Now, sorry to throw it back to Twilight again, but I kind of have to. See, for years people have been criticising the relationship between Bella and Edward, throwing around words like abusive and stalker and scary. I don't necessarily agree with everything that's said about them - yes, he is a bit stalker-y to begin with, but abusive is a big word that I think gets thrown around a bit lightly when this particular topic comes up because I don't see Edward subjecting Bella to physical or psychological abuse - but I think it's definitely true of this book. Patch actively frightens Nora, she is scared of him. Actually afraid of the guy. And yet she's still hooking up with him and thinking about him all the time. This bothered me because I really don't think it's a healthy relationship to show impressionable readers. I think it's kind of irresponsible, actually. Also, it made me want to punch Nora again. If you are afraid of a guy, don't invite him into your kitchen and make out with him. Lock the door and either call your parents or the police, depending on how exactly the situation is playing out. It's really not that difficult, is it?



No comments:

Post a Comment