Sunday, 19 January 2014

THROUGH TO YOU

Through to You by Emily Hainsworth

Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. He’d give anything to have just one more glimpse of her. But when Cam visits the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees an apparition. Her name is Nina, and she’s a girl from a parallel world. When Cam follows her there and makes an unbelievable discovery, it’s as if all his wildest dreams have come true. But things are very different in this other world. Nina is hiding a secret, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with the truth, he’s forced to make a choice that will change his life forever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to be stuck in a little bit of a rut at the moment in terms of reading. I just seem to be picking up books that I expect to be really good, and then winding up disappointed. Now, this is not a bad book, it just isn't an especially good one either. 

Cam's girlfriend Viv died in a car accident a few months prior to the start of the book, and he's been struggling to cope ever since. Which isn't surprising, because he's been struggling to cope ever since his parents split up and he wrecked his knee and had to quit the football team. Cam's a bit boring and whiny, which is fair enough because his girlfriend just died, but there's nothing else to him. He's kind of boring. And I don't want to read about a boring main character. Honestly, Parallel World Viv is the most interesting character here, and, sadly, she's the one we get to spend the least time with.

Why does that keep happening?

The only other thing I really feel the need to say about this book is the fact that I picked it up because it's about parallel worlds. The blurb specifically mentions parallel worlds. Do you have any idea how long it takes for anyone to figure out that there are parallel worlds and the eerie green light is the portal between them? Too long. Way too long. By the time we got there, I'd almost given up on the book because the simple fact that I knew a lot more than the characters about what was going on was so infuriating to me. 

I know this is a pretty negative review, but I didn't hate this book. I really didn't. Honestly, I kind of liked it. I just didn't think it was anywhere near as good as I was expecting it to be, and my disappointment tainted my enjoyment of the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment