Thursday, 12 December 2013

THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just going to come right out and say it. This is not the sort of book I would normally pick up. I mean, look at that cover. You just know that this is going to be a cute, contemporary romance. None of these words appeal to me. (I actually love the cover, by the way, it just isn't something I would normally read). It was actually intended as research, I've been struggling to create realistic and interesting romantic relationships in my own writing, so I figured I'd read a couple of books centred solely on the romance to see if I could pick up some tips. I wasn't expecting to enjoy the experience one bit.

I really enjoyed this book. It's fluffy and cute, sure, but it's also really funny. I love Caymen. Xander I thought was a little bland, but that's probably because he just doesn't appeal to me personally. I guess that's an important factor when reading romances, your personal tastes are going to have an effect on things. 

It's a light, quick read, but it's very enjoyable and I'll be definitely picking up some of West's other books in the future (I'm actually waiting for Pivot Point to come out in paperback, which seems to be taking forever to happen!)



No comments:

Post a Comment