Saturday, 23 November 2013

Inspector Drake and the Perfekt Crime [sic]

(Picture courtesy of Shinfield Players
Theatre website)
So, this evening, I went along to the Shinfield Players Theatre to see their performance of David Tristram's Inspector Drake and the Perfekt Crime [sic]. Going in, I knew literally nothing about it except for the fact that it involved a detective of some kind. Seriously, I didn't even actually know the title. The bitterly offensive title. When I saw the poster, I realised it was a comedy and panicked just a little.

In the end, I was very pleasantly surprised. It is genuinely very funny. It isn't the sort of humour that I would set out to view, I'm more of a dark and sarcastic kind of girl, but I found it very funny and I'm pleased to note that I wasn't the only person in the theatre laughing. Except at one point, when I thought there was a joke about the TV show Pointless. Either I was the only one who got it or it wasn't actually a joke. I'm still not sure, but I suspect it wasn't a joke.

I don't want to say too much about the plot, because I hate when people say too much about the plot, but essentially a woman is missing and Inspector Drake, pride of Scotland Yard, ends up on the case, mostly because of a little harmless bribery. Though resistant to the idea of working on a missing persons case, Inspector Drake soon realises he might well be investigating the Perfekt Crime [sic]. The plot has more twists than, as Inspector Drake himself says, a really twisty thing. You won't guess the ending. Don't even try. Just enjoy the twists, the turns and the further twists.

Sadly, there is only one more showing of Inspector Drake and the Perfekt Crime - tomorrow night, Saturday the 23rd November, at 7.45pm. If you're in the Reading area and looking for something to do (or either, or neither) you should definitely try and get to it. Their website is here, and I hope some of you manage to get along to see it. Despite the bitterly offensive title.



No comments:

Post a Comment