Wednesday, 9 October 2013

SOULMATES

Soulmates by Holly Bourne

Every so often, two people are born who are the perfect matches for each other. Soulmates. But while the odds of this happening are about as likely as being struck by lightning, when these people do meet and fall in love…thunderstorms, lightning strikes and lashings of rain are only the beginning of their problems.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The concept of this book really interested me. I'll be honest, I wouldn't usually be drawn to a book with a heart and the word 'soulmates' on it, that's just not my kind of thing at all. Truthfully, I'm not big on romance. So the idea of soulmates meeting being a catastrophic thing was intriguing.

Sadly, that's not really what this book is about. Sure, it comes into play eventually, maybe in the last fifth of the book? Mostly, though, this book is about the cringe-inducing relationship between Poppy, a hardworking and studious Good Girl, and Noah, the brooding guy in a band. Poppy doesn't believe in love or soulmates, she laughs at her friends who have boyfriends and has decided she won't even look at a guy until she turns nineteen, but then she falls head over heels in love with the brooding guy from a band. It was even more hideous and cliched than it sounds.

Interspersed with all the boring falling-in-love stuff, there are these annoying chapters that break the flow of the narrative to show scientists sitting in a lab and getting all worked up about Poppy and Noah meeting and falling in love and Endangering The World. I hated these bits as much as the love story bits. The thing is, it seems as though the author wants to build tension and suspense about what's going on in this shady government laboratory, but anyone who's read the blurb knows exactly what's happening, so why bother? I know the author probably had no say in what the blurb says, but it just defeats the purpose of all these sections.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. I won't say what happens, although there are really only two ways it can go, and I'm not sure which one I wanted. I think part of the problem was that, by the time I'd trawled through five hundred pages to reach the ending, I really didn't care what happened. It's such a shame, too, because the premise of this book really interested me, but it just wasn't the book it claimed to be. It was a love story with some poorly constructed additional bits lobbed in for good measure. And that's not what I wanted to read.



No comments:

Post a Comment