Monday, 21 October 2013

IMAGINARY GIRLS

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be contained or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby. But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has deeply hidden away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This book started off really well, but gradually became disappointing. The writing is beautiful, the characters and the plot are really interesting, and I was completely wrapped up in it until I realised that no explanation for any of it was on its way. 

The title meant that, from pretty much the first page, I was convinced that Ruby was imaginary, that Chloe was suffering from a kind of Tyler Durden thing, in which she was really doing all the things that she gave Ruby credit for. I'm pretty sure that isn't what happened. I can't say for certain, because I have literally no idea what did happen, but I'm fairly certain Ruby was real. I mean, other people could see her and talked about her, but then Chloe wasn't exactly the most reliable of narrators.

I enjoyed the story, sure, I was really into it, but the ending was completely unsatisfying. I don't mind ambiguous endings, often they're my favourite kind (although no examples come to mind), but here it just didn't work. There was all sorts of impossible things happening, but then the story just ended with no ending or resolution. And I needed something more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment