Monday, 30 September 2013

FIRE WITH FIRE

Fire with Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Lillia, Kat and Mary had the perfect plan. Take down the people who had wronged them and leave no trace of their involvement. But everything blew up in their faces and the Homecoming Dance.

Now Lillia and Kat are starting to second-guess their plotting, but Mary is insistent that she finally gets the revenge she deserves - destroy Reeve like he destroyed her.

But as more secrets threaten to reveal themselves, the girls' pact becomes harder to maintain. Emotions are spiralling out of control, and there's too much at stake. Because once a fire is lit, sometimes the only thing you can do is let it burn.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved the first instalment in this series which I didn't realise was a series until I finished the first book, Burn for Burn, and this one is an interesting follow-up. There are elements that are better than the first one, and there are places where it doesn't work quite as well. Immediately after reading, I thought I liked it better than the first, but after some thought, I'm not sure. I think if I re-read the first one now, I would enjoy it a lot more than I did at the time.

The problem for me initially was the unexpected paranormal element. Looking at the cover and all the descriptions of the book I'd read, I was expecting contemporary YA. Three high school girls trying to get revenge on the people who had wronged them. Fairly standard. But then weird stuff started happening and there was a bit of a bomb-drop at the end. I hadn't set out to read a supernatural book - in fact, at the time, I was really off them - and so I was annoyed and unimpressed when it suddenly became one. Really annoyed. With this second book, the paranormal stuff still feels a little off to me, but it didn't bother me anywhere near as much because I was expecting it. I think if I re-read the first one, knowing what it was I was embarking on, I would be able to really enjoy it now.

This second instalment is a little long, though. I wanted to crawl into the first book and live in its pages - that sounded less weird in my head - but here there were places that I started to skim. It takes a long time to get going. Everything seems to be crammed into the final third, after 350 or so pages of filler material. I particularly disliked the Mary chapters. In fact, I found myself flicking ahead quite often to see how long I'd have to wait before the next Lillia chapter, since her storyline was the only one where anything really seemed to be happening.

All in all, this book was a little bit of a let-down. It would have been a lot better if it had even been just a bit shorter. Still, I'm excited to get my hands on the next instalment, given the ending to this one, and just hope that it'll hold up!



1 comment:

  1. I was a bit thrown by the paranormal element in the first book too. It just didn't make sense to me. But I still enjoyed it overall and will probably give this one a chance when I can. It's a shame that it was a bit of a let down overall, but I'm glad you're still excited about the next book!

    ReplyDelete