Friday, 27 September 2013

ETERNALLY YOURS

Eternally Yours by Cate Tiernan

Nastasya has invested huge amounts of effort into forgetting her identity. And has fought back against the dark immortals of her past. But can she fight against true love? In the exhilarating finale to the Immortal Beloved trilogy, Nastasya ends a 450-year-old feud and learns what 'eternally yours' really means.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, anyone who's stopped by this blog before probably knows just how eager I was to get my hands on this book. Despite that, I'm over a year late to join the party, because I'm petty and childish and stubborn about stupid things. You can read more about that here. So, essentially, I waited for the paperback, a decision I went back and forth on about a thousand times. I'm not sure if the decision to wait was a good one or not.

The thing is, while waiting for the book, my mind started to hype it up. I remembered just how much I'd enjoyed the first two and thought about how because this was the finale, it was bound to be even better. My expectations just got bigger and bigger and bigger, and honestly, they weren't really met. It took me a very long time to get into this one. The first instalment, if I remember correctly, was a slow-starter as well. It's very much a character-driven trilogy, and that doesn't work if you're not emotionally invested or at least interested in the characters, and you can't have that from page one. It takes time to build and become engrossing, so it didn't bother me at all that the first book was a slow starter. This one, however, should not have been. We've been with Nastasya for hundreds of pages and I love her. But I read through maybe the first hundred pages of this book trying to remember what it was I liked about this series so much.

Then it got awesome. Nastasya was being snarky and difficult and funny. She and Reyn were being...well, they were being Nastasya and Reyn and I loved it. They have one of my favourite romantic relationships of any books, I just love it. Love it. And beyond that, looking at the wider focus of all the immortals at River's Edge, there's stuff happening. Something dark and sinister is happening, not everyone is going to survive this book. Something terrible is going to happen and you can just feel it building and building and then suddenly....

There's a massive anti-climax. The last third of the book was a real disappointment to me. It's revealed what that dark and sinister thing is and I wasn't impressed. I should be racing through the pages, desperate to know everything but at the same time kind of fearing the book being over, but I was thinking so what? I just wasn't impressed. And then there's the last chapter, which really should have had the heading epilogue. I hate epilogues. Almost as much as I hate flashbacks (and my God there were a lot of flashbacks in this book). It basically just ruined it for me. Didn't need it, didn't want it, didn't like it.

But the middle bit, the couple of hundred pages between the slow start and the unimpressive ending...well, I read every word with a big, goofy grin on my face. I loved it. Loved it. I love Nastasya and want there to be seven more books in her voice. I want more Reyn. I want more snark and self-loathing and bickering and just all of it. I loved the middle. So, overall, though this book could have been much better, I loved the middle enough that I can't write it off completely.



2 comments:

  1. Ha, I read the first one in this series, though no further yet, and this sounds sort of consistent. I almost DNFed it because I hated the first half, but then spend the second half enraptured with a goofy smile. Oh well, I guess they're still worth it, even if they should be more balanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think the good stuff overshadows the bad stuff, even though there are some bits I couldn't stand! I don't regret reading them, as I often do with books by the time I reached the end. I really need to get better at DNFing.

      Delete