Monday, 23 September 2013

ALL OUR YESTERDAYS

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Yesterday Marina was safe, privileged, wealthy. She was falling for James - the super-brainy youngest son of a very powerful family. Yesterday ended badly.

Today Em is in a cell she may never get out of alive. There's a flicker of hope when she talks to the boy in the cell next to hers - and when she remembers who she used to be...yesterday.

Tomorrow Em has a mission. She must escape and travel back in time. She must kill the boy Marina loved - to save her future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd been hearing quite a lot of buzz about this book online before I ever saw it in a bookshop (that may not be true, because it's got about eight different covers and I may have walked past it dozens of times before I recognised it as something I was interested in. Incidentally the cover above, with that lame heart? Not the best), but I was still initially reluctant. It's a time travel book, and I have a love-hate relationship with time-travel. Now, you'll have to forgive me because I read this book many weeks ago (I've been in the writing cave, so I haven't been reading much or blogging at all) but as far as I remember, I actually didn't mind how the time travel was presented.

You see, my theory is that you can't have an interesting story about time-travel without there being paradoxes. And I hate paradoxes. I loathe them. I will sit there and look for flaws in the science, despite the fact that I know nothing about science (except for what sublimation is, and I don't know why or how I know that) and the fact that actually, nobody really knows how time travel would work because it doesn't actually exist. So, despite going out of my way to look for flaws here, I got along with it fine. The issue of paradoxes is addressed and, even though the explanation is kind of a cop-out, I appreciated there being an explanation. It allowed me to suspend my disbelief and just enjoy the story.

Which I did, for the most part. There was a revelation that had been blindingly obvious for several chapters, there was a point where I started to get a bit bored and then a bit confused because I'd started to skim, but overall I did enjoy the book. I didn't really like any of the characters or connect with them, but I felt the story was enough to carry it. My only real issue with this book is I've been hearing murmurs that it's the first in the series and I can't get my head around that. This is quite clearly a stand-alone book. I won't read a second one unless it gets some amazing reviews from sources I trust, because I think a second instalment would probably just ruin it.



No comments:

Post a Comment