Tuesday, 20 August 2013

WOOL

Wool by Hugh Howey

What would you do if the world outside was deadly, and the air you breathed could kill? And you lived in a place where every birth required a death, and the choices you made could save lives - or destroy them. This is Jules' story. The is the world of WOOL.

I'm going to start this review by saying that several people recommended this book to me, all of them saying how brilliant it was. One of them, a good friend whose taste in books I trust utterly, told me it was the best thing she'd read all year. So I had high expectations starting this book.

They were not met.

I do think my incredibly high expectations played a part in me not enjoying this book, I really was anticipating something quite spectacular, but honestly, I'm not sure I would have been all that interested in it anyway. I liked the start of it, I was enjoying learning about the world and the interactions between the characters were interesting and there was clearly something sinister simmering away in the background, just waiting to burst forth, but then I got bored. I don't remember at what point it happened, or even if there was a particular point, but I lost interest and never got it back.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone planning to read it, so I'll keep this fairly vague. I found it difficult to connect to any of the characters, particularly Jules, who ends up being the main character, and I couldn't understand what the point of a lot of it was. I understood why the characters were where they were and why that had to be secret, but I don't understand what anyone was actually hoping to achieve. It didn't make sense to me and it didn't interest me. There wasn't even a particular strand - because it splits into at least three main narratives (I think) - that bored me and spoilt my enjoyment of the rest, I just found it an exhausting read and didn't get anything from it. It's a shame and I blame my friends entirely, but I just didn't like this one.



2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you didn't like it. I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, interesting. I'm on the fence about reading this one, and if it's long and boring, I may pass. I don't know. Not like I have much free reading time at the mo anyway.

    ReplyDelete