Monday, 19 August 2013

DIE FOR ME

Die for Me by Amy Plum

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life - and memories - behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

Yeah, I really didn't like this book. At all. I know it's been a few weeks since I read it (I've gotten kind of behind on reviewing books because I've been working on a new manuscript and it's been quite the time-suck) but I can't think of a single thing I liked about this book. Other than the cover, of course. I think the cover's beautiful.

Essentially, this book is about angels in Paris. I don't like angels or Paris. Really, this is my own fault and nothing to do with the book. If I had done even the minimal amount of research - such as read the synopsis I posted above instead of a different one - I would have realised this book involved angels and Paris and just passed by it. But I didn't. I bought it and made myself persevere beyond the first page, which is when it became clear to me that this was a book about angels in Paris. Also, how good would a song called Angels in Paris be? Sorry, the phrase is going round and round in my head.

Other than the whole angels in Paris issue, I found the book quite unoriginal, it's one of those books that draws an inevitable comparison to Twilight. Now, I actually liked Twilight, but if I wanted to read it again, I would. I don't need to read a book that is incredibly similar in story and tone. The writing was quite plain as well, I thought, so coupled with the story that I found uninteresting, there really just wasn't anything to hold my attention.

Also, angels in Paris.

But the cover's really nice, so there's that.



No comments:

Post a Comment