Wednesday, 21 August 2013

BROOKLYN GIRLS

Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess

Jobless. Clueless. Topless on Facebook. (Not necessarily in that order) Welcome to New York City.

Pia Keller is not living the dream. Unemployed, unemployable and broke, post-Uni life in a Brooklyn townhouse with her four best friends suddenly isn't so easy. And that's before heartbreaks, hispters, all-nighters, one-nighters, food trucks, screw-ups, loan sharks and jail-time make things a whole lot more complicated...

It's actually quite hard to put into words how dreadful I thought this book was, but I'll give it a go. The words cheesy and patrionising are the first that come to mind. The dialogue made me actually wince and my God, does anybody in the world actually think that going to a loan shark is a good idea?

There are a couple of things I picked out while reading, which I thought I'd share with you:

1. "God, I hate it when my friends get mistreated."
     Um, don't we all hate that?

2. "Ladybitch."
    I'm pretty sure bitch implies a female anyway, so this clarification makes zero sense to me. Plus, it sounds awful and they say it a LOT.

3. "It makes sense. And his rates are lower than a bank.
    LOAN SHARKS ARE BAD. YOU'RE WELCOME.

And that's even before I start thinking about the characters. Which I can't. Because I'm already getting angry about this book again and I read it weeks ago. There were moments, I suppose, when I didn't want to throw something at the main character, but these moments were few and far between.

Brooklyn Girls was my first foray in New Adult, and honestly, I don't think I'll be setting foot there again. This was just dire. It made me realise how mature everyone I know actually is. And I will never again give any of my friends a death-glare for saying "Fail!" because it could be worse. They could be saying things like "oopsh," "cockmonkey," "bodacious" and "ladybitch."



No comments:

Post a Comment