Saturday, 10 August 2013

A to Z Survey

So, on Friday, Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner posted this survey on her blog and I thought I'd fill it out, since I've enjoyed reading lots of other people's responses and couldn't help thinking about what my own answers would be. If you decide to do it, leave me a comment and I'll check it out. (The graphic above is Jamie's, too, not mine)

Author You've Read the Most Books From
According to Goodreads, it's Jacqueline Wilson with 28 books. I don't think I could even name that many of her books, but apparently I've read them! She was one of my favourite authors as a kid, and I'd devour anything with her name on it.

Best Sequel Ever
Pretties by Scott Westerfeld - it's one of my favourite series of all time, and this second instalment is my favourite of the four of them.

Currently Reading
Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess. It's my first foray into New Adult and I'm not enjoying it at all really. Although I have learned that loan sharks are BAD.

Drink of Choice while Reading
Water, I suppose. I don't often settle down to read a book, so when I do I just usually have water to hand. 

E-Reader or Physical Book?
Physical books all the way, no question. I've never technically read anything on an E-reader.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School
I've never been much of a dater, but I do attract weirdos, so probably somebody creepy like Edward Cullen (okay, I actually liked Twilight and was Team Edward, but even I can accept that going into a girl's room while she's sleeping and has no idea is kind of creepy)

Glad You Gave This Book a Chance
Divergent by Veronica Roth. I wasn't going to read it, I wasn't that interested and almost gave up on it early on, but I finished it and liked it enough to read the second book.

Hidden Gem Book
Why nobody in the world seems to have read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell is totally beyond me. It's glorious. Do yourself a favour and read it now.

Important Moment in Your Reading Life
I guess the moment I decided to stop ignoring the two Harry Potter books on my shelf because they had a train and a car on the front and were quite clearly boy books and deign to read them. I was a stubborn seven-year-old, but come on, the first book had a train on the cover.

Just Finished
Wool by Hugh Howey. I wasn't overly impressed by it, I think possibly because everyone I know that's read it has raved about it. They loved it and I was disappointed.

Kinds of Books You Won't Read
Anything about war. Any kind of war. Seriously, it bores me stiff. Recently, anything with vampires or werewolves or angels, even though I used to be obsessed with vampire books. I think I've just read too many now and need a good long break. 

Longest Book You've Read
Well, according to Goodreads, it's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which is strange because Order of the Phoenix is quite a bit longer than that one, so who knows?

Major Book Hangover Because Of
I've never really been one for book hangovers, so I guess I'll be boring and pick Harry Potter again. It was a huge part of my life - and continues to be - and so reaching the end of the last book was pretty devastating.

Number of Bookcases You Own
Two. There are more in the house, but I have two of my own. Along with numerous piles of books around the room.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. (If you're too lazy to read the book, which I'm sure you're not, the TV adaptation with Tom Hardy was excellent. Side note - I read the book first)

Preferred Place to Read
My bed.

Quote That Inspires You/Gives You All the Feels
Again, I'm not really one for remembering quotes. I guess I could go with 'All was well.'

Reading Regret
That I can't leave books unfinished. I spend a lot of time reading books I'm not enjoying instead of stopping and moving onto something I might enjoy more.

Series You Started and Need to Finish (All Books are Out)
Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan. I loved this book and it's sequel, but I haven't got the third one yet because I was waiting for the paperback. The other two are hardback, but they stopped making the covers that match my ones, and I refuse to spend hardback money on a book that won't match the set. I go back and forth on this decision, but the paperback is finally released this month and I am so excited. I've had it pre-ordered for months now.

Three of Your All-Time Favourite Books
Beauty by Robin McKinley, In Sarah's Shadow by Karen McCombie, and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (can't believe I've got this far without mentioning Neil Gaiman!)

Unapologetic Fangirl For
Leigh Bardugo. I adore Shadow and Bone and love Siege and Storm almost as much (it needs more Darkling). None of the people I've recommended this book to have actually read it yet, so I'm planning to buy several copies and force it on them at Christmas. I'm sure they'll thank me once they've read it.

Very Excited for This Release More than All the Others
I'm gonna have to say Eternally Yours by Cate Tiernan again because it is so close and I have waited so long. So long that I may have technically forgotten what happened at the end of the last book, maybe it's time for a re-read.

Worst Bookish Habit
It's not exactly a habit, but matching book covers are a huge deal to me. I won't rant about it here, but why do publishers change the book covers part-way through a series? I even want unrelated books by the same author to match (I have a lovely set of Neil Gaiman books that match, and three that don't, although two of those were children's books so I could cope with it. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is just very distressing in terms of how it looks on the shelf). And while I'm on the subject of covers - when UK publishers take a lovely US cover and redesign it so it's hideous. Like Speechless by Hannah Harrington. That bright blue and the cut-out magazine letters? Ew.

X Marks the Spot - 27th Book on Your Bookshelf
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Another book that's probably due for a re-read, since several of my friends are reading the series for the first time in anticipation of the film being released and half the time I've got no idea what they're talking about because my memory sucks!

Your Latest Book Purchase
I actually just bought the first Game of Thrones book by George R.R. Martin, whatever it's called. It was 99p on Kindle and so I decided to finally give in and buy it because I've enjoyed the series. I'll have to borrow a family member's Kindle to read it, but maybe that'll bring me around to the idea of E-books.

Zzz-Snatcher Book (last book that kept you up WAY late)
Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers. I really enjoyed this book and read it within 24 hours I think, because I kept thinking "just one more chapter, just one more chapter." At work the next day, I was counting down the minutes to my break so I could finish it off, and was then a wee bit of a mess when I couldn't get it finished in the time I had!



3 comments:

  1. OMG I feel the same about the damn covers, if it's a series just don't change the size or the theme of the covers, I don't understand what the underlying theory behind it.

    I love the Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld, and I've since become Westerfeld's fan, he's become one of my Auto Buy Authors. I totally agree with you though that Pretties was actually a better book than Uglies.

    I use to not be able to DNF and I used to persevere to finish books but I've since changed my view, there's far too many fantastic books around that I can't waste my time trying to "get into" a book :(

    A-Z Survey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to be better at giving up on books I'm not enjoying - like you said, there are too many fantastic books out there to waste time on something I'm not enjoying - but it's easier to do with ones I haven't had to pay for! But I am trying.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Jacqueline Wilson might just be the author that I've read the most books from too. I haven't picked up anything by her in YEARS, but there was once a time when I refused to read anything that wasn't Harry Potter or by Jacqueline Wilson. And I'm SO excited that you'll be reading Eternally Yours finally. I think it's the best book in the trilogy. I really hope it works for you! :)

    ReplyDelete