Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Microscope Required

I am an extraordinarily picky reader. Actually, I'm an extraordinarily picky person, but let's just stick to the books for now. The thing is, I very rarely open a book before I buy it.

I know that probably sounds crazy - the other big readers I know always read part of the book, whether it's a few paragraphs, pages or the entire first chapter, before they commit to buying it. I don't. I don't even like when the blurb is inside the front cover instead of on the back where it is supposed to be.

Part of the problem is fonts. If a book has too small a font or it's been printed on cheap paper so the ink bleeds and everything looks like it's supposed to be in bold, I won't buy it. I don't have the patience for it. It's not difficult to have your font be of a reasonable size and on reasonable paper (sure, the latter makes production costs higher, but I don't care about that). If a book looks like it will be hard to read, hard on my eyes, I'm not interested.

And I think I've probably missed out on a lot of great books by dismissing them like that. I'm sure I have. It's one of the key reasons I'm yet to purchase a George RR Martin book - I've never stumbled across one that didn't make my eyes want to bleed. However, once I've bought the book, I'll probably read it anyway. Sure, I'll be disappointed when I open it, I'll sigh and bitch and moan, and the book will have to do a lot more work to win me over, but I'll read it.

I've also read a lot of books that I really didn't like and would never have wasted my money on them if I'd read the first page or two. So it's a tricky habit for me to live with. What about you? Do you dismiss books based on something - some would say trivial - like the font?



2 comments:

  1. That's such a funny habit! I'm actually more offended by large font than small. It's just really annoying to my eyes. The thin paper is annoying when the ink bleeds through from the other side.

    Also, I totally should read a page or two of books before I buy them, because I have also suffered similarly. I feel like if I spent money on a bad book, I deserve to suffer as a lesson to me for being imprudent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a problem with large font. I'm often relieved to open a book and think "ooh, huge print!" which is probably terribly lazy of me!

      Yes! That's exactly it. I keep hoping I'll learn, but I don't.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete