Saturday, 20 July 2013

FALL FOR ANYTHING

Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?


Once again, Courtney Summers has delivered a very unique read. That sounds like a critcism, and it's not supposed to. I devoured all of her work in a matter of days, and, though this was my least favourite, it's still not a bad book. Flawed, yes, but not a bad book overall. 

Eddie is probably the most likeable of Summers' characters - she's not a former mean girl, whether by choice or external forces, for a start - but I found her the hardest to get along with. I couldn't engage with her, I found it very difficult to understand her and honestly, I found her a bit annoying. And not in a fun, she's about to do something really awful so I'm really glad she's not my friend kind of way. She's quite normal. Her defining characteristic is the mark left on her by her father's suicide. 

It took me a really long time to get into this book, I found it a much slower-paced read than the others. I don't know if that's because I was waiting for the ending, for the answer to Eddie's questions, which I knew we wouldn't get until the end, if at all. Unlike the other books, I was less interested in the journey than I was in the destination. I did reach a point where I was utterly engrossed, but it took a while to get there. 

[This part may be a bit spoiler-y, so you should stop reading here if you're like me and hate to know anything about a book before you start reading it. Also, if you are like me and don't like to know anything about a book before you start reading it, you probably should avoid this book.]

Okay, it's hard to put into words what I want to say here. Something happens in this book and I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a surprise to the reader - I hope so, otherwise the whole book is just confusing - but I wasn't surprised by it. In fact, I saw it coming from very early on. I don't have my copy to hand or I'd give you the exact point where I realised what was going to happen, but it was stunningly obvious, I thought. And, honestly, I think the title played a huge part in that. I'll say no more.

As I said at the start, this book is my least favourite of Summers' four, but it has in no way diminished my anticipation for her next, All the Rage, due out next year. In fact, I honestly can't wait to get my hands on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment