Friday, 21 June 2013

THE SHINING GIRLS

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes

This book was sold to me as a thriller about a man who uses a time-travelling house to stalk and kill special 'shining' girls across the decades.

In actual fact, this is not a thrilling story about a man who uses a time-travelling house to hunt and kill girls across fifty years. This is a series of graphic descriptions of brutal murders alongside very long and very dull character descriptions, with some bullshit about a time-travelling house thrown in to distract the reader from the fact that there is no story here. Because there isn't. There isn't any characterisation either. Actually, no, that's not true. There's a lot, just of the wrong characters. The girls that Harper kills are over-developed. Harper, Kirby and Dan, the main characters that survive until the final chapters, have nothing going on at all. I found this book intolerable and I will happily never think about it again.



6 comments:

  1. Ummm, yikes. *side-eyes book* I was all excited about the serial killer thing, but I'm not a fan of the time-traveling house thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I'm particularly sceptical of books featuring time-travel, because it's a concept I love that I think rarely works, but this was just nonsense. I had to force myself to finish it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yowch. I was really interested in reading this one, because time traveling serial killers, but yikes. I'm not really one to shy away from brutal descriptions of murders, but if it's just one after another after another taking the form of a book? No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the idea, but I just found it so dull. I don't mind a bit of graphic violence, but I was so uninterested that even that felt really flat. Murder and backstory, that's all that's here.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, not good. I started this not too long ago, then lost all interest in it and put in on hold. I completely forgot that I put it on hold, too, which probably tells you how much I've been thinking about it. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you putting it on hold, but only because I was wondering if you'd go back to it! Honestly, I hated it, but you might still enjoy it. Maybe. Somebody must have liked it, otherwise it wouldn't be published!

      Delete