Thursday, 13 June 2013

Books and Their Film Adaptations

This is a subject I could talk about for hours - why are the books always better? Are the books always better? Should you read the book before you see the film?

That last one is the one I want to take a minute to talk about today. I've been talking to a friend recently about how she needs to hurry up and read some of the books I've been trying to force on her in the last year because the films are coming out soon. Because she always reads the book first. Which is fine, I don't judge her for that, but people often judge me when I say I like to see the film first. It's not always the case, but often I do. Sometimes I'll hear about a film and be interested, and become even more interested in the book, but usually I'll wait and see the film first. I've always said this is because the book is always better - if you read the book first, you won't enjoy the film. If you see the film first, you'll enjoy that and then enjoy the book even more. Put like that, it makes no sense whatsoever to see the film first. You'd be better off reading the book and not even bothering with the film.

Then today I saw this quote, which I think just cements what I'm trying to say:

The next two years will be filled with potential blockbusters based on YA novels. By polishing off the books now, you'll be able to sit calmly in the theater next to your gasping friends with the satisfaction of totally knowing that plot twist was going to happen.*

In that scenario, your friends are enjoying the film a lot more than you are. You're probably sitting there, feeling all smug about the fact that you knew what was coming, and then reeling the next moment when you realise that the filmmakers have skipped over your favourite part of the book. Because the films have to cut things out, there simply isn't enough time to put everything in. And that's irritating, but only if you've read the book. Only if you know what's missing. Otherwise, you'll just sit back and enjoy the film and, when it's done, you'll decide to buy the book because you enjoyed the film so much. And guess what. You'll probably enjoy the book even more.

What about you? Do you insist on reading the book first or would you rather see the film beforehand?



* Quote from this article at mashable.com

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Film first, no further discussion necessary!

    ReplyDelete