Wednesday, 29 May 2013

UNREMEMBERED

Unremembered by Jessica Brody

A catastrophic plane crash leaves one survivor: a girl with no memory. Who is she? Where does she come from? Nobody knows and no one comes forward to claim her. Haunted by a looming threat she can't remember and plagued by abilities she doesn't understand, she struggles to recall who she is. But every clue leads to more questions. And she's running out of time to answer them. Her only hope is a boy who claims they were once in love. Alone and on the run, who should she trust? And what if she discovers that she is safer with a past that stays...unremembered?

I want to get this out of the way before we get started - you know what's a really difficult word to type? Unremembered. I know it's not a real word, which is probably why it just looks wrong, but it's driving me mad already. Just thought I'd share that with you. And now, onto my review...

Ohh, I was really enjoying this book. Seriously, I was starting to fall in love with it. And then they mentioned the word "laboratory."

See, I was so annoyed by this plot development that I figured out how to use GIFs on my blog.

See, I was sure the main character was some brainwashed cult member, and I was completely enamoured with that idea. It was a bit different and there were lots of places to go with it. Looking back, there was no evidence to suggest she was a brainwashed cult member. I think I read the words "survivor" and "plane crash" and thought about Chuck Palahniuk's novel Survivor. Which is about a cult member. And involves a plane crash. So, yeah, a few crossed wires there.

And it was a big disappointment for me. I feel like every other sci-fi book I pick up at the moment features something along these lines. I didn't even really realise this book was a sci-fi book. I was hoping for a psychological thriller. I'd say that therefore my lack of enjoyment of this book was my fault, I should have read a little bit more about it before buying it, but I don't think that's entirely fair.

The thing is, the writing went downhill after a while. Maybe I just didn't notice it at first, maybe there was an actual decline in quality, I don't know, but it became very predictable. And kind of dull. And a bit like every other half-assed sci-fi attempt I've read in the last few years. And the monologuing...seriously, the last few chapters are just monologuing. I wanted to cry because this book started out so well and, by the end, I was just so disappointed.

Also, just as a side note, I am sick to death of reading about crooked smiles. I bet over 90% of the population have crooked smiles and we don't even notice them.

So this book has not snagged a coveted spot on my all-time favourites list. And even though it annoyed me, I probably won't even remember it in a few weeks. It's completely unrememberable. And I can't believe I just said that.



1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard very good things about this book, unfortunately, and I think this review just cements that I won't enjoy this one very much. Shame that there was an easily found decline in the quality of the writing, that's always a shame. Happened to me with Kiersten White, albeit not in one book. I didn't like her writing in Paranormalcy, but felt it was even worse in her later novel, Mind Games.

    ReplyDelete