Wednesday, 8 May 2013

THE SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

Pat Peoples knows that life doesn't always go according to plan, but he's determined to get his back on track. After a stint in a psychiatric hospital, Pat is staying with his parents and trying to live according to his new philosophy: get fit, be nice and always look for the silver lining. Most importantly, Pat is determined to be reconciled with his wife Nikki. Pat's Parents just want to protect him so he can get back on his feet, but when Pat befriends the mysterious Tiffany, the secrets they've been keeping from him threaten to come out...

This book. I can't even describe it, really. I saw the film twice when it was in cinemas and loved it so much. The book is slightly different, the ending is completely different, but there are small differences throughout. That's to be expected, of course, there are always changes when a book becomes a film, and I can see why the changes were made. The thing is, I saw the film first and loved it, so the changes felt odd to me and so I ended up not loving the book as much as the film. I'm sure if I'd read the book first, it would have been the other way around, but I didn't. So it wasn't.

It really is a great book, though. Pretty much every chapter made me want to cry. Pat is just so sweet and lost, and I think knowing what was going to happen had an impact on how much the book upset me. I knew what was coming but he couldn't see it, and I just wanted to protect him from it. I've never really felt like that when reading before, like I needed to stop before something terrible happened to the characters.

The really big difference between the book and the film is Tiffany. Now, I love Jennifer Lawrence and I think she was excellent in this film - fully deserving of her Oscar for the role - but I can see why people were upset when she was cast. She's much too young to play the Tiffany of the book, who I believe was supposed to be around 35. I don't think her age was really important to the story in either format, but I can see why people who'd read the book baulked at the casting.

All that's left for me to say is read this book. Read it. Now. Not even kidding. Read it.



No comments:

Post a Comment