Friday, 10 May 2013

THE HOST

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

In the interests of total honesty, I did see the film before I got round to reading this book, which has been gathering dust on my bookshelf for years. In fact, it didn't even rate a place on the bookshelf, it was sitting in one of the towers on top of the bookcase. I didn't mind the film (I can't remember if I actually reviewed it or not, but I've got a feeling I didn't) but I spent a lot of time watching it and thinking 'this would work so much better as a book.' Well, I was partially right.

The communication/interaction/relationship between Melanie and Wanderer works a hell of a lot better in the book, because it doesn't rely on a naff voiceover for one of them and muttering to herself for the other. It didn't really work in the film, but in the book it does. It works well and it's a relatively interesting relationship, though similar to the one featured in Kat Zhang's What's Left of Me, a book I utterly loved.

I really hated most of this book. Seriously, I wanted to die every time I picked it up. It's just so long and boring. Seriously, they could torture people by reading it to them. It was terrible. It was dire. It's just so dull. Hundreds and hundreds of pages of nothing happening. Now, I've been told by people who read the book first that it's a lot mor exciting when you don't know what's going to happen, but I can't quite believe that. I can't see this book being in any way exciting, unless perhaps you were missing half your brain or something. It is dire.

I will concede there's a point, maybe 400 pages in, that it picks up for a while. Around the time the main character's brother is dying, I think it was. Even though that bit featured in the film, it was interesting. And then it got a bit dull towards the end, then picked up for a while, and then had a really stupid epilogue that made me want to rip the book in half. Sadly, I'm pathetically weak and the book remains intact. Maybe I didn't enjoy this book because I saw the film first. Maybe I didn't enjoy this book because it was similar to What's Left of Me but boring. Maybe I didn't enjoy this book because it was just plain awful, I don't know, but I didn't really like it. I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Hey, look at that, I made it all the way through the review without mentioning Twilight. Check me out.



No comments:

Post a Comment