Monday, 27 May 2013

THE 5TH WAVE

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one. Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave...

I didn't know an awful lot about this book before I read it. I knew a lot of people were talking about it, but the cover didn't really grab me, so I hadn't been all that interested. Then I spotted it in the supermarket and remembered that lots of people were raving about it and decided, spur of the moment, to buy a copy. This turned out to be both a good and a bad choice.

From the full text of the back cover blurb (I cut it down above because it was long and wordy and unwieldy), I was under the impression that the book was about Cassie, a sixteen-year-old survivor of an alien attack on Earth. There are few people left and she has to hide from them, since the aliens look just like human beings. Then she meets a boy and questions everything she knows about life and aliens and love and existence and all that kind of thing. And I really enjoyed these parts of the book. I liked Cassie, I liked her story and her chapters, and that last one is the snag.

I liked Cassie's chapters. There are other chapters, told from someone else's point of view. And I didn't like those at all. Not one bit. Now, this may be my utter hatred of reading about war rearing its ugly head again, but suffice it to say, I didn't like those chapters. Not only did I find them pretty dull, I didn't like the character narrating them, and, honestly, I don't think they were as well written as Cassie's chapters. I may be biased, perhaps I didn't notice slips in writing quality when I was too busy enjoying the story, but the other chapters seemed a bit flat and predictable for me. 

Overall, I liked this book, though I can't bring myself to say I loved it because of those other chapters. I would recommend it to other people, though, ones who don't feel like crying/screaming/throwing heavy objects when they realise they've been suckered into buying a book about war. And I have to admit that I intend to buy the second instalment when it's released, so it can't have been all that bad. I'm not sure it warrants the hype and some of the things people are saying about it, but I suppose each to their own. Maybe they enjoyed the war bits!



No comments:

Post a Comment