Thursday, 2 May 2013

MY SOUL TO TAKE

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

She doesn’t see dead people, but...She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

I wasn't really expecting to like this book, so why I actually bought it is kind of beyond me, but I surprised myself. I've hit a bit of a slump where paranormal is concerned, everything just seems a bit meh. At best. So I didn't think I was going to enjoy this one, and I did. It's a bit different, it's fast paced and it actually isn't reminiscient of Twilight in any way I could see, despite the claim on the front cover. 

Kaylee is a banshee, well, actually, she's a bean sidhe, and this was my only major problem with the book. It didn't matter how many times I was told that bean sidhe was pronounced like banshee, I didn't read it like that and it was incredibly jarring. I mean, what was wrong with using the word banshee? Would it have been in any way detrimental to the book? No. No, it would not. The other annoying thing about the whole bean sidhe thing? It was italicised. Every. Single. Time. And that infuriated me. Sure, the first few times, fine, but every single time? No, thank you. And if she'd just used the word banshee, there wouldn't have been any need for italics at all.

I mentioned in my quick review on Goodreads that I'd almost definitely be buying the second book in this series, but now I'm not so sure. The thing is, it works as a standalone book, and I can't really see how a second book would work. I mean, there is a lot of scope for a sequel, as Kaylee finds out more about being a banshee and the shadowy worlds that cross with ours, but how many people can die in her small town before it becomes ridiculous and irritating? I think I might ask around about the second book and find out a bit more about it before I commit to buying it - something I never do - to save myself from any disappointment.  That being said, I'd definitely recommend this instalment to fans of paranormal YA.



No comments:

Post a Comment