Thursday, 23 May 2013

DEAD EVER AFTER

Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse has one last adventure in store. The question is, in the end: who will love, who will live, and who will be dead ever after?

You guys, I have really exciting news - I never have to read another Sookie Stackhouse book again! I really am very excited! For anyone wondering why I've continued to read a series that I honestly can't stand now, it's because I liked the first few and, because I was given the first eight as a set, I carried on reading. Then I kind of needed to know what happened, even though I hated the writing. Like, really hated it.

So, with that out of the way, let's talk a little about this last book. The last one. Ever. Sorry. This book managed to make me angry within the first eight pages, by telling me who Sam is. Sam is a character who has been in the books since the very first instalment. I don't need reminding who he is. I do not have brain damage. What I do need reminding of, however, is what happened in the last couple of books. That explanation did not appear. I mean, seriously, they're discussing people and events that I have literally no memory of, leaving me utterly lost, but Harris explains to me who Sam Merlotte is. I am not even kidding.

The really annoying thing about that - I'm not going to go into the story or anything else that was wrong with the writing, suffice it to say that it was not a good read - is that I discovered once I'd finished the book that my edition had a load of exclusive "interviews" with the author at the back of the book. These interviews turned out to be Charlaine Harris talking a little about each book in the series and recapping them. Why was this not at the front of the book? There were forty-seven pages dedicated to recapping the last twelve books. It even refers to them as "re-reading notes," so why were they at the back of the book? You read those and then dive into the last book. Which idiot decided it made sense to put it at the back of the book? That makes no sense!

And then there's the ending. I won't tell you who Sookie ends up with, let's just say that it was not what I wanted. What I wanted was for Sookie to decide she didn't need to end up with anybody, that she could be happy on her own and would be. That's what I wanted, though I knew it would never happen. As it is, she makes what I consider to be the obvious choice. At the beginning of the book, Harris states that she knew she could never make all her readers happy with the ending, so she just went with what she'd always planned. I can kind of respect that, even if I'm one of those unhappy readers. Honestly, I've read more hundreds of pages of this nonsense than I'd care to admit, so I doubt I would have been a happy reader no matter what the ending turned out to be.

So, all in all, if you're thinking about reading this series, I'd give it a miss and stick to the TV show (although the last series was dire). If you've read the others, I'm sure you'll read it anyway, regardless of my comments, because sometimes you just have to finish what you start. I will make one last comment, though, and it's an important one. Where was Eric? Eric is the one saving grace of these books and he was, for the most part, utterly absent. Which is just not okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment