Tuesday, 2 April 2013

WARM BODIES

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins. This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...

I toyed with not actually reviewing this book at all because I didn't enjoy it at all, really. Now, I'm no stranger to negative reviews, but the problem here is that there wasn't anything wrong with the book - nothing I can point to about the story or the characters or the writing - I think maybe it just wasn't for me.

It may have something to do with the film adaptation that was released recently. I didn't actually see the film, though I wanted to, but I saw a lot of trailers and clips and interviews where Nicholas Hoult talked about it in detail. I think I had a vision of what this book was, and it turned out to be completely different. I'm not saying I would necessarily have enjoyed it any better if it had been the book I was expecting, but it would have been a very different read. 

Gotta love that cover, though.



2 comments:

  1. I've seen this book at my library but haven't read it yet but am hoping to soon because I'd like to find out what my opinion on it is. I'm sorry you didn't like it that much! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy!

      I think the main problem was that I went in expecting one thing and was disappointed to get another. This is why I try not to have expectations of books (as if that's even possible!)

      I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

      Delete