Wednesday, 17 April 2013

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away. Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone. Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her- and more if she'll let him. But who can she trust amidst secrets and lies? A killer is out there - and Amy has nowhere to hide...

This book and I did not get along. I'd seen such positive reviews of it, and so many of them. To date, I don't think I've seen a negative review, I've seen nothing less than glowing commendations. That should have been my first warning, rarely do I enjoy a book with such universal adoration, and I didn't make an exception here. 

I found it slow and boring and predictable. There were a couple of things that I didn't guess, but by that point I was so desperate to reach the end and never have to open the book again that I simply didn't care. The idea behind the book intrigued me, a teenager frozen on a spaceship is woken up too early and knows the person who tried to kill her is on board somewhere. How could that story be anything less than gripping? I'm not sure exactly what happened, it should have been great.

Part of the problem for me was that I hated every single one of the characters. Actually, that's not strictly true, I didn't hate Harley. He was so much of a stereotype, though, that I couldn't bring myself to upgrade him from disliking to simply not-liking-very-much. And as for Amy and Elder, the two main characters...well, I have a confession to make - I'm a moaner. I moan and bitch and whine about things constantly, even things that don't irritate me all that much. However, it's not something I can tolerate in other people. Amy and Elder complain constantly. Endlessly. And it drove me crazy.

So I think it's safe to say I didn't like this book and won't be recommending it to anyone I know, but if you're interested in reading it, I wouldn't base your opinion solely on this review (not that you would anyway, there's just no non-big-headed way to phrase that). There are hundreds, literally hundreds of reviews out there praising this book and the other two instalments in the trilogy. I just can't see what it is that they love about it so much.

The cover's pretty nifty, though.



2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry you didn't like this one so much! I've been eyeing it for quite a while, and have heard mostly good things, but for some reason nothing has ever really compelled me to pick it up. And Amy and Elder's whininess doesn't sound like something I'd be able to tolerate. I hate that in books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can moan and whinge like there's no tomorrow... but I can't put up with other people doing it either. ;) Sorry to see you didn't like this one, Lesley! I enjoyed it overall, though I didn't LOVE it, like most people seem to have done. I gave up on the series after this book and don't really much interest in picking it back up.

    ReplyDelete