Tuesday, 26 March 2013

SIDE EFFECTS

A young woman starts taking anti-depressants and does something terrible. But is she responsible or was it the drug?

That's about all I can say to describe the plot of this movie without giving anything away. It's not full of twists and there isn't one big thing I could say that would ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I'd like to be careful, because I like to know very little about films before I see them.

I will say this, though. This isn't the film I thought it was going to be. Even as I was watching it, it changed. I'm not sure exactly what I thought it was going to be about, but during the film I decided it was intended to explore the real essence of culpability - if a person does something while under the influence of a drug, are they responsible or is the drug? Is their psychiatrist responsible because they prescribed the drug? And I think that would be an interesting film. The only trouble is that it isn't this film. This film is something more...melodramatic, shall we say? (I promise I will at some point look up the definition of the word melodramatic because I really don't know if I use it correctly. Mostly because I can't tell you the difference between dramatic and melodramatic.)

Jude Law and Rooney Mara were very good. Channing Tatum's impression of a potato continues to impress me. Catherine Zeta Jones seemed to be in a very different film to the other actors, and that didn't work for me at all.

It wasn't a bad film. I didn't especially like the route it took ultimately, I would have much preferred a film exploring the legal predicament of who really was responsible for what happened (but then, I refuse to miss a single episode of The Good Wife, so I enjoy legal stuff anyway). I will say this, though. At the end, I was waiting for another bit to happen. There were a couple of different things that could have come after the ending, but I didn't like where it stopped. It just didn't feel quite finished to me. Worth a watch, though, I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment