Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Choosing a New Project

I am currently without a project. A writing project, I mean. The whole improving-myself thing is ongoing. Supposedly. Anyway, I finished writing my most recent manuscript at the very end of December and haven't really written anything since. So, the plan is to start a new manuscript on April 1st.

This decision led to a rather thorny problem, though, because I don't actually have anything that's ready to go. I had a couple of ideas that were too new, that I knew I would never finish if I started them next week because they just weren't ready to go yet. There was an idea that was at the perfect stage of development, but was just too close to the last thing I wrote - the last manuscript was about a teenage girl who sold her soul to the devil, this idea is about a teenage girl who dies as an atheist and has to try and get into heaven. Too much crossover for my liking.

So what did that leave me with? Finishing the last manuscript I abandoned because I started it too soon? No, that wouldn't work because I still haven't figured out the problem that tripped me up last time. I haven't been thinking about it all that hard, but it's been over a year now. It's not a problem that's going away any time soon. Then there was re-writing the damn vampire book that I can't seem to get right and have already re-written three times. I'm starting to think that one will never work and I should stop trying, that I should just let it exist in my head in perfection, because it is just perfect until I try to actually put it into words.

Ultimately, my new project was decided by process of elimination. It was the only one in any real shape that I couldn't find an excuse not to get on with. Sure, it's not quite at the stage of planning I'd like it to be, the main character has a really clever plan that I haven't figured out yet, but it makes sense to write this one. So, for the foreseeable future, my WIP is a book about people who set-up murders and cover them up afterwards.

You know, as you do.



No comments:

Post a Comment