Monday, 18 February 2013

BEAUTIFUL CREATURES

Okay, so my intention was to review the film Beautiful Creatures today, but I can't. I saw it on Friday, a few days ago now, and I still can't decide what I think about it.

The film is allegedy based on the book of the same name by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It shares the character names and the general premise, but other than that, it bears little resemblence to the book, and that's why I'm struggling to decide how I feel about it. The thing is, I'm one of those people who doesn't like it when film adaptations have any differences to the book. I understand why it's necessary sometimes, but it bothers me, particularly when a film cuts something which I consider to be crucial and puts in new, pointless scenes (why, yes, I am talking about Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, something I probably should have gotten over by now). The exception to this rule is The Hunger Games, where the differences actually made it a better film than it would have been otherwise. In fact, some of my favourite parts involved the gamemakers and Seneca Crane, scenes we wouldn't have had if the film-makers had stuck faithfully to the book.

This film, however, is something entirely different. Honestly, it's so utterly different from the book that it's almost unrecognisable. I had to ask my friend afterwards if I'd completely forgotten the book and she said she'd had the same odd feeling while watching the film. I can see why some things were changed, but I really can't understand why they changed some things so fundamentally. The problem in terms of reviewing the film is that I can't see it as a film in its own right because I've read the book, but it's so different that I can't review in terms of an adaptation either. Hopefully I'll come to some sort of decision about where I land on it, but at the moment, I've got nothing. I'll keep you posted!



No comments:

Post a Comment