Wednesday, 16 January 2013

LES MISÉRABLES

Okay, so the plan for today's blog was to review Les Misérables, which I went to see last night. The thing is, I don't think I can review it fairly, given that going to see it was in fact a pretty miserable experience. See what I did there?

Sorry, I'll stop.

I have a low tolerance for other people generally, but it's at its worst in the cinema. And last night was appalling. If you are not capable of sitting and watching a film without talking or checking your phone, you need to stay at home and wait for the DVD. You need to not disturb people who actually can watch films like grown ups and have paid £10 each for the privilege. In the first ten-fifteen minutes, we had to tell two separate groups of people to stop talking. We were close to going out and getting a member of staff (which we hate doing because then we're the ones that miss the film and usually it makes no bloody difference anyway because they like to avoid removing people from the cinema). It was also absolutely freezing in the room where we saw it. So I spent the first thirty or forty minutes feeling utterly stressed and unable to get into the film, which is a shame, because what I saw of it, I really enjoyed. Honestly, I thought the first half of the film was excellent.

The second half, less so. Which is not the fault of the film at all. I have this little issue, one which I've had for as long as I can remember, and it's that war bores me deeply. Seriously, just hearing the word war makes parts of my brain switch off. I hadn't fully twigged the fact that this film is set during the French Revolution. Which is a war. So really, it's my own fault I didn't enjoy the second half - seriously, it's a huge problem. Hugh Jackman was on screen and I was bored - but I can't help thinking that I might have enjoyed it more if I'd been more engaged in the film, which I wasn't because of the other people in the audience. I didn't get emotional at the end because the film had lost me by that point. And partly because I really needed to go to the toilets - it feels like a very long film.

But some positives. In my opinion, Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen stole the show. Hugh Jackman was predictably good and Russell Crowe was surprisingly so. I still can't stand Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne and Amanda Seyfried, though I can admit that they did a good job here. The kids in it were very good, too. There was really only one scene where I was distracted because I recognised it as Winchester (where I went to uni and saw a bit of the movie actually being filmed) although I'm pretty sure the bit I did see filmed didn't make the final cut. Overall, I probably would recommend it, though Vue are going to be getting a snotty email from me.



4 comments:

  1. Just doing my bi-annual trail around past student's blogs to see if anyone is still blogging and here you are! I am very impressed. I hope life post-uni is treating you well?

    I can empathise completely with your low tolerance for other people in cinema audiences. I have actually allowed mine to develop into something of a terror of watching films in cinemas. I spent a good portion of my childhood and teens in cinemas, then I worked in one and I have always loved everything about the cinematic experience. And then I got a bit older and, rather than revel in the communal aspect of film watching, began to loathe it. In the early days, nachos (crunchy, crackling, stinking nachos) were the main culprit but, yes, phones and other glow in the dark, beeping devices have gained ground on them of late. And the talking... Well, that will always have a special place in my apoplectic heart...

    That said, I am going to give Les Miserables a go because I feel I owe it to Hugh Jackman who will one day, I am sure, return my calls.

    Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kass. Things are going pretty well and I've really enjoyed blogging, so thank you for introducing me to it. I'd only dabbled in it before we used it for that assignment!

      One of my biggest issues in the cinema is food like nachos and popcorn and individually wrapped sweets. Why is recognised cinema food also the noisiest food you can lay your hands on? I once told my friend to unwrap every single one of her Starburst during the trailers or she wouldn't be allowed to eat them!

      I think I might have to fight you for Hugh Jackman. Can't have my future husband returning other women's calls!

      Delete
  2. I am the sort of person who cannot stand any sort of noise when watching a film (in the cinema or otherwise), so I completely understand your frustration! I can also relate to the feelings about war. Anything remotely political can switch my attention off in a second. I have been super curious about this film though and hope to watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is worth seeing, the first half is really very good. I'm more relaxed about noise when I'm watching a DVD at home because I can rewind it or pause it and tell the person to be quiet, but it still bugs me. The biggest problem in our house is when we sort of recognise one of the actors and someone decides to get out their phone and look them up on IMDB!

      Delete