Wednesday, 30 January 2013

BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP

Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson

Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love--all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may be telling you only half the story. 

Welcome to Christine's life.



First of all, I'd like to clarify something. On the back of my copy of this book, there's a comment that refers to it as a crime thriller. I think it even won an award for being the best crime thriller of the year or something along those lines, but I'd ignore that. I don't think you can call it a crime thriller, not really, and if you go in thinking that it is one, your mind will most likely stroll down very specific avenues and you'll ultimately be disappointed when you find out what's really going on because you were imagining something much more interesting. That's not to say the ending isn't interesting, just that you might have had something better in mind.

I'm finding it hard to review this book, and even talk about it with people who've read it, because I didn't really enjoy reading it. What I did enjoy, however, was thinking about it. I enjoyed coming up with theories about what I thought was happening, I enjoyed bouncing those theories off people who had already read it. But as far as the actual reading of the actual words went, I didn't find any real enjoyment there. I found it dense and repetitive and really just not very engaging.

Given other people's responses to this book, I have to assume that there wasn't anything wrong with the book itself. That it just wasn't for me, which is a shame, because I kind of enjoyed the experience of the book, even though I didn't actually enjoy the book.



No comments:

Post a Comment