Thursday, 3 January 2013

2013

Happy New Year!

Okay, so it's a couple days late, but I wasn't going to post anything New-Years-y at all, so whatever. No, really what I wanted to write a little bit about is New Year's Resolutions. I don't, as a rule, set resolutions at any time of the year. Except late on Sunday nights about how I'm going to do some exercise on a Monday, but that doesn't count because I have literally never remembered it the next morning.

Anyway, I don't do resolutions. Thing is, this year, I've set myself a goal. And now I'm not sure about it. On the 1st January, I stumbled onto Goodreads to check something and saw their challenge - basically, you set a number of books that you'd like to read this year. So, I counted up and, in 2012, I read 60 books. Not including the one I'm currently reading. I thought about this for all of...I don't know, four seconds? And then picked 75 as my target for 2013.

Then I thought about it some more. I don't think setting a reading goal is right for everyone, though I've seen a lot of blog posts just recently about how good it is, especially for writers. The thing is, I read quite a lot anyway. 60 books in 52 weeks is pretty good if you ask me. Would I like to read more? Read as much as I possibly can? Sure, but reading more books this year strikes me as something that means I have to read quicker. I want to enjoy the books I read, not constantly be thinking about how many pages a night I need to be ploughing through to make my target.

So, really, I guess what I'm trying to say here is that setting a reading goal is great if you don't read very much. You know, those people who say they wish they had time to read? If you want to read more, make the time to read it. A goal would be great for that. But for me, someone who makes a point to read at least a couple of chapters every day, maybe it doesn't make sense.

What about you? Are you setting a reading goal for this year? The whole idea has intrigued me now.



No comments:

Post a Comment