Friday, 23 November 2012

Flashfiction Friday #13: NaNoWriMo Week 4

Tessa resisted the urge to throw her coffee in his face, mostly by telling herself it wasn’t even that warm anymore. “Tell me, Michael, why does Stan like you so much?” Tessa asked, tapping her pen against her bottom lip.

“I’m a likeable guy.”

“Really? I hadn’t noticed.”

“You obviously don’t pay enough attention.”

“Is this you being likeable?”

“Clearly not. Would it help if I bought you another drink?”

“You say that like you bought the first one.”

Michael heaved a sigh, catching the dust on the newspapers and sending it into Tessa’s lap. “Look, I don’t care whether you like me or not. I’m not here to make you like me. I’m here because you screwed up and lost this guy, and now I have to spend my time fixing your mistake. You think I want to be here? Because I don’t. I also don’t care whether you like me.”

“Understood.”

“Really? Can we work now?”

“No. Do you know what the clock means?”

“The clock?” Michael asked. “What clock?”

“The one in Stan’s office. You know, with all the hands?”

“Right. Stan’s clock,” he said. “No, I never asked. Never asked about the snake either.”

“Snake?”

“Yeah, for a few weeks he had…I’m not sure exactly but I think it was an anaconda circling the room whenever I was there. It was kind of weird.”

“No shit.”



No comments:

Post a Comment