Friday, 16 November 2012

Flashfiction Friday #12: NaNoWriMo Week Three

Here's another extract of my work-in-progress, One Previous Owner, which is also this year's NaNoWriMo project. It's going well, I fell behind - really behind - but I'm caught up now. I was even ahead for a couple of days! So, enjoy! (And beware - bad language ahead).

__________________________________________________________________



There was a shriek of brakes. Tessa hit the ground. Where the hell was she? She looked around desperately and found herself in the middle of Main Street. Literally in the middle of it. She was sprawled on the tarmac, the side of a car inches away from her.

Shit. Tessa jumped up and dusted off her hands just as the driver of the car got out.

“What the fuck are you doing?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t see you.”

“You’re in the middle of the fucking road!”

“There’s really no need to shout,” Tessa said, trying to calm him down and not attract any more attention. She had a feeling everyone in the vicinity – drivers, passengers and pedestrians – was watching her. “I’m sorry. I didn’t see you. It won’t happen again, I’ll be more careful in future, I swear.”

“I could have killed you!”

“Yeah, but you didn’t so-”

“Did you hit your head? Are you concussed? You can’t just waltz out into the middle of the road like that. You’ll die? Do you understand that? Do you realise that?” He was leaning towards her, face inches from her own, and she could see that he was more scared than he was angry. He really thought he might kill her.

“I’m so sorry.” It was all Stan’s fault. Sending her back to the centre of a busy road was just too far.

The driver sighed, running a hand through his floppy brown hair. It was sticking to his forehead. He was sweating. Tessa suddenly felt terrible. He was just some random, normal guy, probably driving home from work or to pick his kids up from school or something. Just an ordinary, suburban dad, heading home to see his family.

“I’m sorry,” she said again, feeling like she might cry.

“Stop apologising. Are you all right? Are you hurt?”

“No, I’m okay. I really didn’t mean to scare you like that.”

“Just don’t fuck about by the road in future, all right?”

Tessa bit back a comment about him speaking to his kids like that and nodded, trying to look both sincere and ashamed of herself. Apparently it worked because he looked her up and down once more and then, satisfied, got back into his car. Tessa stumbled back to the sidewalk and found two familiar faces watching her in horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment