Thursday, 29 November 2012

CLOCKWORK PRINCE

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Love and lies can corrupt even the purest heart...

So, this is the sequel to Clockwork Angel which I reviewed last week or the week before. I don't tend to review sequels, since I can't really see the point in it. But this book was bothering me and I wanted to get my issues down somewhere.

Very little actually happens in this book. I mean, yes, there are betrayals and backstabbing and going off to drug dens in the middle of the night, but really, very little has actually changed by the end of the book. Two of the characters are engaged (a decision that has divided the readers of the series, though actually, I can't see the big issue there) and a major character's history has been revealed (although not the one that I personally was interested. Seriously, does anyone else think that Mortmain might actually be Tessa's father? It would explain so much. I know he plans to marry her, but Clare is no stranger to incestuous love stories).

That's about it, though. For a while, it looks as though Charlotte and Henry will be removed from the Institute, but that doesn't happen. For a while it looks like Sophie might finally get an interesting story, but that doesn't happen. I will say one thing, though - the love triangle that I complained didn't actually exist in the first book comes to life here. It didn't really move me, as I don't actually really like either Jem or Will (though, gun to my head, I'd have to choose Will), but at least it was there this time.

The writing's fine. In places, I thought it dragged a little bit, but I do quite like Clare's writing style. It's just that this book was so lacking in story, and it's not a short book. My copy runs to 496 pages, so that's a long time for not much to be going on. Honestly, I think maybe the whole series (obviously I haven't read the final instalment in the trilogy, but I'm making an assumption based on the first two) could have been condensed into a single volume. It sort of reminded me of the second trilogy in the Mortal Instruments series, in that maybe there just isn't enough story to sustain it.



No comments:

Post a Comment