Tuesday, 20 November 2012

CLOCKWORK ANGEL

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Magic is dangerous - but love is more dangerous still
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray arrives in England during the reign of Queen Victoria, something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seeks refuge with the Shadowhunters, a band of warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons. Drawn ever deeper into their world, she finds herself fascinated by - and torn between - two best friends and quickly realises that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Yeeeah, so I had mixed feelings about this book, which we'll get to in a moment. This is the first book in the "Infernal Devices" series, a spin-off/prequel series to the "Mortal Instruments." Now, I liked the original MI trilogy quite a lot, but felt that the fourth and fifth instalments were pretty awful, really. This book fell more to side of those later instalments. I found it really quite boring until very close to the end. Honestly, I was trawling through it and tempted to give up, and then in like the last four chapters it suddenly became interesting. I can't put my finger on what exactly changed, but something did and I got really into it. Then it ended.

Re-reading the book's blurb (in order to copy it out above) it struck me how it doesn't really describe the book at all. Especially the references to the love triangle and being torn between two friends. As far as I'm concerned, these things didn't actually happen. Clare was clearly setting up for a love triangle to exist in the rest of the trilogy, but it doesn't exist yet. Call me crazy, but that kind of bothers me. Especially since Tessa doesn't actually seem all that drawn to Jem, just Will.

Maybe I'm the reason I didn't enjoy this book. Maybe I read it at a time I wasn't really wanting to read it and I should have given it a few weeks. This was strongly indicated that it took me 84 pages to make the connection between the Pandemonium Club in this book and the nightclub named Pandemonium in the Mortal Instruments. Yeah, 84 pages. I like to think this is because I forgot it existed and was reminded by the trailer for the film, which I saw for the first time the morning of the day I twigged. 84 pages. That was hard for me to admit.



1 comment:

  1. I liked (for reasons unknown) City of Bones by Clare, and I've heard even better things about this, but at the same time I'm still hesitant to move on in the Mortal Instruments series and start this. I've heard that the MI series loses its steam after the third book and that this hasn't lost its steam yet, but I'm still not sure if I want to take a chance and see for myself if I like it. Sorry you didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete