Wednesday, 17 October 2012

The Naming Game

For as long as I've been writing, names have been an issue for me. Character names vary, they either come to me in and instant or go through months of changes before they feel right for the character in question. Naming anything else is always the same, though - it's difficult. Really difficult.

Towns, countries, cities, companies, bands, TV shows, movies, drugs (medical or otherwise)...I struggle to come up with anything at all, then when I do have an idea it just feels wrong or stupid or too similar to something in another book or the real world. I get frustrated and plug in Xs wherever a name is missing just so I can carry on writing the story, always intending to go back and put something in, and then ending up going through the same process all over again.

I've tried using name generators, looking at lists of real places and muddling up the letters or putting different parts together. I have books full of first names and surnames that I scour through on a regular basis. And even after all this time spent writing, I still struggle every single time. I haven't found a way that works for me to name things within my story.

And don't get me started on titles for the finished book or chapter titles. I gave up on the latter a long time ago, but it turns out books do need names. There's no escaping it. I'm hoping one day it'll come to me a bit easier, but it's not looking good.



No comments:

Post a Comment