Friday, 5 October 2012

THE ASK AND THE ANSWER

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

I won't do a full review of this book because I have this theory about reviewing sequels. If you liked the first book, you'll probably read this one anyway, so what's the point in me reviewing it for you? If you didn't like or haven't read the first book, you won't care about the second, so what's the point in me reviewing it for you?

But while reading this book, I noticed something interesting and I thought I'd share it with you.

I said in my review of the first book in the trilogy that I didn't like either of the main characters, Todd and Viola. Now I'm starting to think that not only do I not like them, they aren't all that interesting.

To me, the most interesting character in the trilogy is Davy, son of the tyrannical mayor. He fascinates me. In fact, he reminds me of Draco Malfoy, in that you know that deep-down, he isn't really bad, he's just been corrupted by the bad people around him. Davy doesn't like the things his father makes him do, but forgets that when his father praises him for doing them well.

I keep seeing a quote which says your readers should want to read the stories of your minor characters as well as the major ones (okay, maybe I'm paraphrasing), and in the case of the Chaos Walking trilogy, I'd much rather be reading Davy's story than Todd and Viola's.



1 comment:

  1. I haven't started this series yet so I'm not sure who the characters are, but I do feel with many of the books I read that the secondary character are more interesting than the main ones. In those case, I'm nearly always wishing I could be reading from their perspectives instead.

    ReplyDelete