Wednesday, 31 October 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012

Happy Halloween!

Okay, that was hard for me. I don't do Halloween. It's just really not my thing. Anyway, whatever your feelings about the 'holiday,' it does mean one good thing - NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow. For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month and is a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in just thirty days. That works out at about 1,667 words a day.

This is my third year doing NaNo, and I've been looking forward to it for weeks. I'm doing something a little different this year, though. The last two years, I've started writing my novels on the spur of the moment. I didn't really know what story I was going to write until a day or two before. Or afterwards. This year, I've planned it out. Actually, I'm supposed to be planning right now, but life kind of got in the way. Also, I really hate to plan.

So this could be the first year I lose. Good luck to anyone else who's taking part this year, and I really would encourage people to have a go. It doesn't matter if the 50,000 words you write are complete crap that you're ashamed to show to anyone. Getting the words down is the first step, then you work on improving them. So switch off your internal editor for thirty days and join the writing frenzy. You can find out everything you'll ever need to know about the challenge here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/dashboard



No comments:

Post a Comment