Tuesday, 16 October 2012

MONSTERS OF MEN

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness
I am finally done with the Chaos Walking trilogy. Okay, so I finished it some time last week, but I've been too busy to do a review up until now. In fact, I wasn't even going to do one, given my not-exactly-strict policy about reviewing sequels, but I really felt I had something to say about this book.

The back cover of this book describes it as a "heart-stopping novel about power, survival and the devastating realities of war." And it is indeed heart-stopping, I'm pretty sure I died of boredom at least a couple of times and had to will myself to live.

Okay, so maybe that's an exaggeration, but it was so dull. Really. I found myself skimming through it more often than actually reading, and started to skip over the 1017 parts altogether (that's not a spoiler, it's made blindingly obvious by the back cover. When I got to the dramatic reveal, I was confused because I was sure we already knew).

I have this theory about books or films involving war. I don't like them. They bore me. The mere mention of the word "war" is enough to make me put down a book, walk away and never look back. Unfortunately, this was the last in the series and I'd bought all three together, so I felt obliged to trawl through it. It was a real effort, but I made it through. Unfortunately, I have nothing good to say about it. I was left unimpressed by the second book, The Ask and the Answer, and after reading this, I am sincerely re-thinking my policy of not leaving books unfinished. It's a week of my life I'll never get back.



No comments:

Post a Comment