Thursday, 11 October 2012

BRAVE

Last week was a good week for films - I saw Killing Them Softly, Looper and then Brave, the latest from Pixar, a film company that I admire very much.

It was okay. It wasn't their best (if I had to pick, I'd say The Incredibles is my personal favourite, but Monsters Inc. comes a close second), but it was a lot better than their worst, by which I think we all know I mean Cars. I think a large part of the issue with this film is that, in a way, it's actually quite realistic. When you consider that Pixar's back-catalogue involves toys that come to life, talking fish, monsters that collect children's screams and superheroes in hiding, a Celtic princess sounds kind of boring. Yes, there is a magical element, with complications that anyone over the age of ten will see coming from a mile off, but overall it's oddly normal considering what we've come to expect from a Pixar movie. It'll sound strange, and yes, I am aware that this is a Disney-Pixar film, but it feels more Disney than Pixar.

The main character, Princess Merida, is faced with the prospect of three suitors competing for the right to marry her and unite the kingdom. Except Merida has absolutely no intention of getting married, and her mother insists upon it. The film put me in mind of Freaky Friday, even though it doesn't involve body-swapping, because it places a lot of emphasis on seeing the world from someone else's point of view.

It's not a bad film, it just wasn't what I've come to expect from Pixar. Fair play to them for trying to branch out and do something different, but from a studio whose films burst with originality, it feels like this film has been done before. The animation is impressive, but again, we've come to expect that now. If I'm being completely honest, I think the short that played before the main film, I believe it was called La Luna, was a lot more impressive than Brave, which I think is a real shame.



No comments:

Post a Comment