Monday, 8 October 2012

30 Days of Books Meme (Part 9)


Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most
I have a complicated relationship with this book. I love it, but at the same time, it actually really scares me and I don't think it's supposed to.

Basically, it's about two sisters - pretty, popular perfect older sister Sarah, and troubled Megan. I am troubled Megan, although without the suicide attempt.

The story's told from Megan's point of view in its entirety, and you're completely on her side. Sarah is a bitch who goes out of her way to make Megan feel bad about herself, who gets all the attention from her parents and has the perfect life. You understand Megan, you want to hug her and make her life better, you hate Sarah. And then it flips. And suddenly, the story starts over again, this time from Sarah's point of view. And you start to realise, maybe Megan's crazy after all. Maybe she's a horribly sneaky, manipulative bitch who actually ruins the lives of her entire family. This book scares me because, as I said before, I'm essentially Megan, and my sister is Sarah. (Apologies if she reads this and sees how many times I've used the word "bitch"). We don't have the best relationship, but reading this book scares me because it makes me wonder if I'm actually seeing/feeling things as they really are, or if my perception is as warped as Megan's.

It's a beautifully written book, it draws you in and uses the idea of the unreliable narrator to excellent effect. It upsets and scares me every time I read it, and yet, I read it a lot. I can't seem to help it. It's an absolutely stunning book.


Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something
Remember how last week I picked The Hunger Games for one of the categories, but in the time between planning my choices for this meme and me actually getting around to writing it, it became inapplicable? Yeah, similar story with this one. I actually can't remember why I picked The Wish List for this category. I have no idea what opinion of mine it might have changed. I also can't think of a book which has actually changed my opinion on something. Sure, a lot of the books I read make me think, but I'm not sure of a time when my opinion was changed by reading something fictional. This book is all about Heaven and Hell, ghosts and angels and demons. I'm an atheist. I was before I read it and I still am, so that's not it. I genuinely have no idea what I was thinking when I chose this book. Sorry.


Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending
Oh. My. God. I cannot even begin to explain to you how amazing this book is. It's my favourite Chuck Palahniuk book. And the ending. Think the ending of Fight Club is a big twist? It's got nothing on Invisible Monsters. 

Seriously, I can't even tell you a thing about this book without spoiling it. It's one of those books that really has to be experienced, you can't appreciate it by just being told about it. They're apparently making a film out of it, but I really can't see how it would work on screen. It's too...can't say! But it would be really interesting to see. And although the book is excellent, you should definitely skip the last chapter, unless you're stupid. I am fairly sure the publishers made him add in another chapter to explain the twist, in case you couldn't figure it out. Do not read the last chapter, you have been warned.



No comments:

Post a Comment