Monday, 1 October 2012

30 Days of Books Meme (Part 8)


Day 22 – Favourite book you own 
The Wish List by Eoin Colfer is an absolutely magical book. I've always been a huge fan of his Artemis Fowl series, but I was sceptical when I acquired this book, mainly because the cover is a bit rubbish. It's actually come out quite clear in the photo (which is a shame because you can see how battered the cover is), but it's hard to read the words and it's just a bit naff looking.

The inside, however, is spectacular. Basically, Meg dies in the first chapter, and gets stuck in limbo, essentially. Her aura is neither blue nor red, she is neither good enough to enter Heaven nor bad enough to go to Hell either. So she goes back home as a ghost to make amends to the old man who was tangled up in the events of her death (she was robbing him at the time). He makes a list of four wishes he wants her to help him achieve, and off they go, with Heaven and Hell competing for her soul and doing all they can to help her complete the list or make her fail with disastrous consequences.

I've probably read this book more than a dozen times, possibly more times than I've read Harry Potter. I know there's no such thing as a perfect book, but this comes damn close to it. I couldn't even tell you what it is I love so much about it, but there's just something special about it. Even so, to this day, I don't know another person outside of my immediate family who has actually heard of it, much less read it.


Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Okay, confession time. You might have noticed that I started doing this Meme, oh, so many months ago. I worked out which book I would pick for each category and took photos of them ready to post. At the time, I had not read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was waiting to see the film first, but then it was assigned as a book I had to read for my degree and so I actually wound up reading it first. And I've posted a fairly lengthy review of it on this blog.

The reason I haven't just picked another book to talk about is that I can't think of one to pick. I was going to say Anna Karenina, but that's been sitting on my shelf for about two years now, so maybe I don't really want to read it. The thing is, I read a lot, and so there are very few books I've wanted to read for a long time and haven't. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one, though I'm sure there must be some.


Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read
I didn't really like the book of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I've seen various TV and film adaptations of it, (Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman being the best, obviously) and was lucky enough to see the recent stage production with Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller.

But the book...the book is kind of dull, to be honest. I didn't like the structure or the way it was told, I didn't like the voice, and all the science-y stuff went right over my head, as did a lot of the spiritual and philosophical stuff. So you might think it's an odd pick for the book I wish more people would've read, but there's a very simply explanation, really. It drives me mad when people refer to the monster as Frankenstein. His name is Adam. Frankenstein is Doctor Frankenstein. The monster is Frankenstein's monster who also answers to Adam. It may seem silly, but this is something that really, really bugs me.



No comments:

Post a Comment