Monday, 15 October 2012

30 Days of Books Meme (Part 10)


Day 28 – Favourite title(s)
Favourite book title? That's easy.

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Need I say more?

This is actually a very good book. It's so funny. I sat up late reading it, giggling through a good three-quarters of it (the end is less funny, more serious, but that worked so it's fine). This is the only Terry Pratchett book I've ever read, but regular readers will know that I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan. It's just little things like a footnote to explain to "Americans and other aliens" the wonder that is Milton Keynes.


Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked
I admit that Twilight is probably too popular a book to be called a book that everyone hated, but I've decided to interpret "a book everyone hated but you liked" to mean "a book that you're ashamed to admit to most people that you like." For me, that book is Twilight. This book has so much hate and anger aimed towards it, but you know what? I kind of like it.

The writing's awful, Bella's a terrible heroine, and it's totally cheesy, but I like it. The story's solid - it takes a while to get into it, but when it starts to pick up, it's kind of engrossing. In fact, my main problem with it is the way people claim that Stephenie Meyer uses it as a way to promote her Mormon values, mainly by the fact that Bella and Edward don't have sex until after they're married. I don't see this as some attempt at religious brainwashing, the fact of the matter is that this makes sense within the context of the story (I'm guessing its harsher critics didn't reach book three, Eclipse, where sex first became an issue).

Oh, and if you've only seen the films, please don't judge it based on that. Even the most die-hard fans would admit that they're pretty terrible. Some of the funniest films I've ever seen, but I don't think that was intended on the part of the film-makers.


Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time
This is a little anti-climactic, I guess, but who the hell actually has a favourite book? I mean, really, who? I love lots of books, I have many favourites across different genres, with different styles and different tones. I can't bear the thought of reading some great books at certain times. Sometimes all I want is a quick, trashy read. Other times I want to dive headfirst into another world and get lost there. I really think that if you have a single favourite book, you clearly aren't reading enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment