Tuesday, 25 September 2012

SAVAGES

So, last night I went to see Savages, the new Oliver Stone movie (apparently that's a big deal, although I've got to admit I'd never heard of him before a couple of weeks ago). And it was weird. Really weird, but not in a bad way.

Basically, two pot-dealers get caught up with a big Mexican drug cartel who want to buy their business. When things don't go exactly as planned, the cartel kidnap their shared girlfriend to force the guys to do as they want. Chaos ensues. They want their girlfriend back, she definitely wants out of the whole hostage situation thing, and it becomes a really interesting story. I can't say much more than that without giving stuff away (I do think you should go and see it knowing as little as possible) but it's not as predictable as I thought it would be by the time we got halfway through.

I wasn't really sure what to expect of this film, drug dealing and killing tend to paint a certain picture but this film didn't meet that picture. I was expecting dark and gritty, when in fact it's sun-drenched and surprisingly light. There's a lot of humour mixed in there, which was a surprise to me. And no, I wasn't the only one in the cinema laughing at it. At the same time, there are some really quite dark subjects in there too, and the mix just works really well. Benicio Del Toro is absolutely terrifying, it's quite something to watch. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else, so I've never really thought about him as an actor (just the guy who knocked up Rod Stewart's daughter) but he was the stand-out of the film.

There's a lot of talk about the ending of the film, too - seriously, stay away from the IMDB boards and ninety per cent of reviews of the films if you don't want it ruined - and I have to say that I wasn't a huge fan of it. I think there were two other places where it could have ended and been better, but the ending didn't spoil my overall enjoyment of the film, so I guess it's not that big an issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment